The Morning Top 5: Bolt completes ‘triple triple’; Calls for ticket inquiry to be transparent

The top stories this Saturday morning...

There are calls for the inquiry into the Olympic ticketing scandal announced by the Government to be open and transparent.

Sports Minister Shane Ross says a retired judge will be appointed next week to lead a non-statutory Inquiry into the controversy.

He says the terms of reference would be finalised shortly after that and he hoped it could complete its work in 12 weeks.

Sinn Fein's spokesperson on Sport Imelda Munster says a non-statutory inquiry “doesn't go far enough.”


Usain Bolt has completed the so-called 'triple triple' at the Rio Olympics.

The sprint superstar helped Jamaica to 4x100-metres gold, meaning he now has nine titles over just three Games.

Bolt, who celebrates his 30th birthday tomorrow, previously said this would be his last Olympics race and he will retire after the 2017 World Championships in London.


The United Nations is urging the new leader of the Philippines to stop the killing of suspected drug users - after 600 deaths in under two months.

Police raids are taking place on an almost daily basis in some areas, with officers instructed to shoot some suspects.

The UN says the killings amount to a crime under international law.

President Rodrigo Duterte took power in May, and has promised a "bloody war" against drugs.


Six people remain in Garda custody in relation to charges of false imprisonment in Navan, Co Meath.

Three men and two women, aged in their 40's and 60's, as well as a teenage girl, were arrested following a planned raid at a house in Navan on Thursday night.

They're being held at various Garda Stations in the Meath division.


A man in his 20's is still being questioned by Gardaí investigating an attempted robbery at a bank in County Wexford.

Officers responded to an alarm activation at the bank in Rosslare Harbour yesterday morning, where a man - armed with a firearm - was still inside.

The man fled the scene but was arrested by Gardaí, who also recovered a firearm, ammunition, cable ties and duct tape.

No cash was taken during the incident and no one was injured.