Morning top 5: Thai bombings, Dublin Bus ballot and Syrian 'war crime'

The headlines this Friday morning...

At least four people have been killed in a string of bomb blasts across Thailand.

Twin blasts hit the holiday resort of Hua Hin late last night and again this morning.

A further two bombs were planted on the popular tourist island of Phuket earlier, with another two in the southern towns of Trang and Surat Thani.

No Irish people are thought to have been injured in the blasts.


The UN's special envoy for Syria has said that a chemical attack on Aleppo, if confirmed, would amount to a war crime.

Staffan de Mistura said that UN experts are investigating reports that chlorine gas was dropped on rebel-held parts of the city by government forces.

The UN has also criticised a proposed three-hour ceasefire by Russian forces each day to facilitate the delivery of humanitarian aid, calling for a break of up to 48 hours instead. 


The result of a SIPTU ballot for industrial action at Dublin Bus should be known later today.

Unions members at the state-owned company have been voting since yesterday after rejecting an 8.25% pay rise recommended by the Labour Court.

The two unions representing staff had sought increases of up to 31% to bring them in line with wage terms secured by Luas drivers earlier this year. NBRU drivers voted in favour of industrial action last week. 


A second Kenyan track and field coach has been expelled from the Rio Olympics in a doping scandal.

Kenyan officials say former sprinter John Anzrah was sent home after he was found with the accreditation badge of an athlete scheduled to go for a random doping test.

Kenyan team leader Stephen Arap Soi said he was reported to authorities by doping control officers in the athletes' village. He had allegedly provided a urine sample under the name of 800 metre runner Ferguson Rotich.


A schoolgirl who left the UK to join Islamic State in Syria is feared to have been killed in an airstrike in the country.

Kadiza Sultana was one of three teenage girls who fled east London and entered Syria via Turkey last year. 

The 17-year-old was living in the terror group's stronghold city of Raqqa and is feared to have been killed a few weeks ago, her family's solicitor has told Sky News.