More than one-quarter of Irish people lose friends over money

'Jealousy' and 'lending money' were seen as areas of tension

More than one-quarter of Irish people lose friends over money

File photo | Image: RollingNews.ie

A new study has revealed that as many as 27% of Irish adults have fallen out, or lost contact, with a friend due to financial issues.

'Jealousy over increased wealth' emerged as the number one monetary cause for lost friendships, with 'inability to join in on social activities' and 'lending/borrowing money causing issues' a close second and third.

The survey results are part of ongoing research into how much of an impact finances can have on the general happiness and well-being of an individual.

A team of researchers decided to investigate the effects of wealth on friendships, and in particular how many people have lost friends due to contrasting financial situations.

Lottoland.ie polled a total of 2,494 Irish men and women.

Respondents were initially asked if they had ever fallen out with a friend over issues relating to money, with the majority of individuals (71%) admitting this had happened to them at least once before.

More than one-quarter (27%) of those taking part revealed that financial disagreements had actually led to the total termination of a friendship.

Of the respondents that admitted losing friends as a result of money, almost two-thirds (64%) classed themselves as the person in the friendship with less wealth, whilst the remaining 36% admitted they had been the more affluent individual.

The most common reasons for the wealthier friends having more money were revealed as 'more lucrative job prospects' (31%) 'a wealthy partner' (18%) and 'family inheritance' (16%).