Vigil held in Dublin for homeless families due to be evicted from emergency accommodation

Five families have been given notice to leave a city centre hotel that has gone into receivership

homeless, families, emergency, accommodation, eviction, dublin, vigil

Image: Helen Vaughn

A vigil has been held in Dublin city centre for five homeless families who are due to be evicted from emergency accommodation.

The families were given notice to leave the Lynam Hotel on O’Connell Street last week.

However, they were given a last minute reprieve to stay until next Monday, August 1st.

A receiver has been appointed to the hotel by NAMA, and no other suitable accommodation has been found for the families so far.

Independent TD Thomas Pringle raised the case in the Dáil on Thursday and called for government intervention.

While acknowledging that Dublin City Council was seeking reprieve for residents, Mr Pringle said the local authority could only offer families “more of the same inadequate, insecure accommodation for short periods”.

A cross party vigil was held outside the hotel this afternoon urging the Government to intervene to find them suitable accommodation.

One of the residents, Annette Courtney from Drimnagh, has been moved five times with her 18-month-old daughter since she became homeless in March.

"You're basically just waiting to hear - and you just don't know if you're going to get that phone call," she explained.  

Lord Mayor of Dublin Brendan Carr says he has been told that alternative accommodation has been offered to the families - but they said it is not suitable.

"Our main objective at the end of the day is to get them out of the emergency accommodation situation, and to put them into long-term accommodation where they can actually live," he said.

news cards