Teenager gunman began shooting at McDonald's restaurant before moving to city's Olympic Park
At least 10 people, including the gunman, have been killed and many more injured in a shooting at a shopping centre in the German city of Munich.
A number of "youths" were among the dead and children have also been shot, police said.
At least three of the 16 injured in the attack are in a "life-threatening" condition.
Investigators said the "acute terror situation" sparked the biggest police operation in Munich for more than a decade.
Police initially feared three gunmen may have been involved but now believe that there was only one attacker, using a pistol. They believe at this stage in the investigations that he acted alone.
It is understood the attacker, wearing a red backpack, shot himself in the head following the shootings. Anti-terror robots are examining the backpack for explosives.
The gunman has since been identified as an 18-year-old German-Iranian, who had been living in Munich for about two years.
He was not known to police and officers are currently searching his apartment for clues.
Police said it is unclear whether the attack was motivated by terrorism or was a "shooting rampage" by a disgruntled individual.
Image: Police officers point their weapons outside the Olympia mall in Munich, southern Germany, Friday, July 22, 2016 after several people have been killed in a shooting. (AP Photo/Sebastian Widmann)
The gunman began shooting at a McDonald's restaurant in Hanauer Street near to the Olympic Park, before moving to the Olympia-Einkaufszentrum mall.
A woman named Loretta said she was in the McDonald's when the man with a gun came out of a bathroom and began shooting.
She told CNN: "I come out of the toilet and I hear like an alarm, boom, boom, boom. He's killing the children. The children were sitting to eat. They can't run."
'I am German'
Sky's Foreign Affairs Editor, Sam Kiley, said one of the suspected gunmen was confronted by a person filming on their mobile phone - and the attacker can be heard shouting abuse about foreigners, adding: "I am German - I was born here."
Employees and customers barricaded themselves inside shops as the attack took place, but officers believe they have evacuated everyone from the mall and brought them to safety.
Image: Sebastian Widmann / AP/Press Association Images
The entire transport network in Munich was suspended, and the city's main railway station evacuated.
Several highways north of Munich were also sealed off by police.
Germany Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier said the motive for the "abhorrent act" has not been clarified.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel was being regularly briefed on the attack, said her chief of staff, Peter Altmaier.
Minister for Foreign Affairs Charlie Flanagan said he was horrified by the violence.
"Our thoughts are with the families and loved ones of anyone affected by this horrific event, and we extend our deep condolences to the German people.
"My Department is monitoring the situation and is in close contact with the Irish Embassy in Berlin.
"At this time we are not aware of any Irish citizens having being caught up in this evening's incident."
Eyewitness Martin Schmitz said people are being told to stay inside - but many can't get to their homes:
Local reporter Maximilian Pitz, who was in the area, said: "We can see a helicopter, police cars, lots of emergency vehicles, but the area is closed, no one can get in."
Chris Phillips, a former head of the National Counter-Terrorism Security Office, said these sorts of attacks have very clear aims: "Suspects move around in order to create as much chaos and terrorise as many people for as long as possible."