Deputy mayor of Istanbul shot in the head at his office

Reports say an unknown assailant entered the premises and fired

Istanbul, Deputy mayor, shot, Cemil Candas, critical condition, failed coup, rule of law,

A man tries to unwrap a giant Turkish flag at Grand Bazaar, one of the largest and oldest covered markets in the world, in Istanbul | Image: Petros Giannakouris / AP/Press Association Images

A deputy mayor of Istanbul has been shot in the head just days after a failed coup, according to local media reports.

Turkish broadcaster NTV reported the deputy mayor of the city's Sisli district is in a critical condition.

They say an unknown assailant entered the office of Cemil Candas and several shots were heard.

It is unknown if the shooting is connected to the attempted coup.

Meanwhile, dramatic footage has emerged of an attack on the Turkish intelligence agency headquarters during last Friday's failed coup.

Video provided by the country's National Intelligence Agency shows gunfire - apparently from a helicopter - strafing the entrance to its HQ in Ankara.

Cars screech to a halt to avoid the bullets and security staff are seen on the CCTV footage firing handguns and automatic weapons into the sky in retaliation.

The footage emerged as the president's office said F-16 fighter jets will continue to patrol airspace over Istanbul and Ankara following the failed coup attempt.

Recep Tayyip Erdogan has also given his country's air force orders to shoot down any military helicopters taking off from Istanbul, the source added.

Turkey has reportedly suspended almost 8,000 police officers following Friday's failed coup.

A total of 8,777 public officials, also including 30 governors and more than 50 high-ranking civil servants have been removed from their posts, while 103 generals and admirals are among those arrested, according to Turkish media.

The purge of state structures and presence of F-16 jets suggests authorities fear the threat against Mr Erodgan is not over, even amid a crackdown that has seen more than 7,500 people arrested.

'232 people killed'

Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yildarim said 232 people had been killed - less than the 290 suggested earlier by the Foreign Ministry - and more than 1,500 wounded since coup plotters ordered tanks into major cities and sent fighter jets to fire on key government installations.

He said the dead included "208 martyrs" - a reference to government supporters - and 24 coup plotters.

Mr Yildarim also repeated a question his grandson had put to him: "Why are they killing people?"

The rebellion was put down by local government forces and masses of civilians who took to the streets.

An official reportedly said the president "evaded death by minutes" when the plotters launched an assault on a hotel in Marmaris where he had been staying shortly after he left.

As the cabinet prepared to meet for its first regular session since the upheaval, security forces staged further raids on military facilities in search of suspected plotters.

Air Force Academy premises and residences in Istanbul were searched early on Monday, according to the Andalou news agency, although it was unclear if arrests were made.

In the northern Greek city of Alexandroupolis, eight Turkish military personnel who landed in Greece in a helicopter during the coup attempt are due to appear in court.

The eight have requested asylum, claiming they knew nothing about the coup attempt, while Turkey is seeking their return.

Turkey's military attache to Kuwait, Mikail Ihsanoglu has also been detained by Saudi authorities while en-route to Dusseldorf in Germany, the Saudi-owned broadcaster Al Arabiya has reported.

EU warns: 'No excuse'

The European Union's foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini warned on Monday that the bloc would send "a strong message" about the need for protecting the rule of law.

"There is no excuse for any steps that take the country away from that," she added.

Johannes Hahn, the commissioner dealing with Turkey's bid for EU membership said it looked like the Turkish government had prepared a list of people to arrest before last Friday's failed coup.

Judges and military commanders are among 6,000 people who were arrested over the weekend as Mr Erdogan vows to stamp out the "virus" of the coup plotters.

Deputy Prime Minister Numan Kurtulmus defended the crackdown on judiciary officials in an interview with CNN-Turk, saying many of them would have played a role had the coup attempt succeeded.

"All of these (judiciary officials) did not necessarily have first-degree knowledge about this pro-junta initiative. Had they succeeded (with the coup) it is clear that these people would have been included into this business."

"Therefore, anyone connected to this group will be exposed."

The government has claimed that the coup conspirators were loyal to moderate US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen.

Mr Erdogan has suggested Turkey might reinstate capital punishment, which was abolished in 2004 as part of the country's bid to join the EU.

US Secretary of State John Kerry has said an extradition request for Mr Gulen would be entertained, but Turkey would have to produce "legitimate evidence that withstands scrutiny".

WikiLeaks has said it is planning to release more than 100,000 documents on Turkey's political power structure following the unrest.

news cards