WATCH: Meat Loaf collapses on stage in Canada

The 68-year-old singer was then rushed to hospital in Edmonton

Meat Loaf, Singer, Collapse, Edmonton, Canada,

Meat Loaf performing on the stage in 2012 [Steve Parsons / PA Archive/Press Association Images]

Rock star Meat Loaf collapsed onstage towards the end of his set on an Edmonton stage in Canada last night. The Bat out of Hell singer was rushed to hospital, which comes after the 68-year-old had cancelled a number of gigs across Canada, citing illness.

Meat Loaf, the stage name of Michael Lee Aday, has been a touring musician for more than four decades, whose 1977 album Bat out of Hell turned him into a global star. A follow-up album, Back into Hell in 1993, sold 14 million copies worldwide.

The singer has previously collapsed twice on stage, first at a December 2003 gig in England. At that time, he claimed it was a result of Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome, a disorder of the heart’s electrical system, for which he later underwent surgery, telling an interviewer that “it won’t ever happen again.” But in 2011, reportedly due to asthma, he collapsed again at a Pittsburgh show.

Meat Loaf was singing arguably him most iconic song when he succumbed in Edmonton, collapsing in the middle of I’d Do Anything For Love (But I Won’t Do That).

“He fell... he just fell,” said concert goer Jamie Carriere. “You could hear the microphone just hit the ground.

“I thought it was a joke, I didn’t know what was going on because he was joking around throughout his set.”

A black curtain was drawn across the stage after he fell over, with the crowd waiting on tenterhooks to see if he would emerge through it, unsure whether or not this was another part of the evening’s act.

"We were sort of watching to see if he was going to walk out the back door or be carried out or whatever, but they covered it up and backed the ambulance right up to the back," said Angus Munroe. "They were protecting his privacy very well."

The crowd was then ordered to leave the building, with many fans shouting messages of support to the singer while paramedics treated him.

Jeremy Westby, the singer’s spokesman, told CNN that he was on the road to recovery. “He was admitted to a nearby hospital to undergo routine tests,” Westby said.

“His vital signs are stable and normal – he’s responsive and recovering well.”

For more music news on, please click here.