Workers at ambulance control centre to go ahead with strike over staffing numbers

Action planned for yesterday has been deferred to allow time for contingency planning

A planned strike by staff at the National Ambulance Service control centre in Dublin has been rescheduled.

Around 70 SIPTU members at the facility in Tallaght were due to take action yesterday over concerns about staffing numbers.

The stoppage has been deferred to June 20th to allow time for negotiations and contingency planning, the union said.

The dispute centres on what SIPTU had claimed is the HSE's failure to implement agreements on staffing levels, the filling of permanent vacancies and the payment of correct rates.

Union members met with management last week and called on them to deliver on these agreements, according to organiser John McCamley.

"The workers have gone through a long and arduous engagement process to try to resolve this dispute but are willing to re-engage with management if senior decision-makers are involved in the process," he said.

Mr McCamley added: “If management does not engage in serious negotiations, SIPTU members will implement a work-to-rule beginning on Monday, 20th June.

"This action will affect non-emergency duties carried out by staff within the control centre.”

The HSE did not respond to a request for comment at the time of writing.