The Garda clampdown on speeding has ended, but other checks continue, with one driver caught doing 180kph
Gardaí's Operation Slow Down has caught 322 motorists breaking speed limits.
Those caught included one driver caught doing more than 70 kilometres per hour OVER the speed limit - a novice driver speeding 171kph in a 100 kph zone on the N7 in Limerick.
Another driver in Dublin was caught undertaking, and clocked going at 180kph by an unmarked car on the M1 northbound, with speeds up to 180kmph.
Since 7am Friday morning, An Garda Síochána and GoSafe has checked the speed of 176,521 vehicles with 322 detected travelling in excess of the applicable speed limit.
Other notable speed occurrences flagged by the Garda Press Office include:
• 140km/h in a 100km/h zone on the N4 at Joanstown, Ballinalack, Westmeath
• 121km/h in a 50 km/h zone on the N17 at Ballynacarrow, South Ballinacarrow, Sligo
• 71km/h in a 50 km/h zone on the R675 at Abbeyside, Dungarvan, Waterford
• 133 km/h in a 100 km/h zone on the N3 at Huntstown Dublin15 Dublin
• 124 km/h in a 100 km/h zone on the N18 Cratloe Clare
• 120 km/h in a 100 km/h zone on the N15 Mount Temple Grange Sligo
• 68 km/h in a 50 km/h zone on the R772 Knockanrahan Lower Arklow Wicklow
• 128km/h in a 80 km/h zone on the R240 at Cashel, Carndonagh, Donegal
• 100km/h in a 80 km/h zone on the R238 Lisfannan, Buncrana, Donegal
• 119km/h in a 100 km/h zone on the N4 Cloonymeenaghan, Riverstown, Sligo
This concludes the reporting for National Slow Down day.
Chief Aidan Reid, Garda National Traffic Bureau wishes to thank those drivers who continue to be compliant and drive within the speed limit and reiterates the message, to all motorists, drive safely and slow down.
One Limerick motorist was among those really pushing the speedometre, among other things.
People like to blame everyone else when they’re caught speeding. If you ran out of fuel would you blame the garage. #Thumbsup16 Slow Down!!— An Garda Síochána (@GardaTraffic) May 27, 2016
Buncrana Traffic detect van driver using mob ph. Also illegal speed cam detector seized FCPN & caution re detector pic.twitter.com/aFsS8KEjS9— An Garda Síochána (@GardaTraffic) May 27, 2016