Daniel Murray was taking delivery order to west Belfast address when he was shot dead
The takeaway delivery driver who was gunned down in Belfast last night appears to have lured to his death by a fake order, police have said.
Daniel Murray (55) was making a delivery to an address in the west of the city when he was shot dead in his car just before 10.20pm.
The PSNI believes the call for the order came from a public telephone box not far from the scene of the crime. The gunman or gunmen is thought to have waited for Mr Murray to arrive at the Lady Street address before killing him.
Detective Chief Inspector Richard Campbell said: “Mr Murray had been in the area as part of his job as a delivery driver for a takeaway restaurant and was making a delivery to an address in Lady Street when he was shot and fatally injured.
“I believe the call to place the order for the delivery was made from a phone box at the junction of Antrim Road and Cliftonville Road at around 9:58pm.”
Mr Campbell added: “This was a brutal attack. It has robbed a family of a partner, father and brother and it is important the local community help us find those responsible.”
Detectives investigating the fatal shooting of 55 yr old Daniel Murray in W Belfast have appealed for information - https://t.co/xQmZwsHkYd— PSNI (@PoliceServiceNI) May 10, 2016
The murder was the third shooting in the city on Monday.
A 17-year-old male was shot in the leg in a punishment-style attack in north Belfast just hours before Mr Murray was killed, while a man in his 20s was shot in an alleyway off the Antrim Road earlier in the day.
In a joint statement, Stormont First Minister Arlene Foster and Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness called the shootings "barbaric and wrong".
"We unreservedly condemn the actions of the perpetrators who care only for themselves," they said.
"Our thoughts and prayers are with all the victims and their families, and in particular the family of Daniel Murray who was shot dead."
Minister for Foreign Affairs Charlie Flanagan also condemned the attacks and called on anyone with information to contact police.
"In recent days, there have been a number of shootings in the city," he said.
"My thoughts are with the family and friends of all those affected.
"I stand in solidarity with the communities of North and West Belfast against those criminals who inflict fear. Such thuggish behaviour has no place on our streets."