Manchester teenager dies after taking ecstasy during a night out

The girl suffered a fatally adverse reaction to a drug known as 'Mastercard'

Manchester teenager dies after taking ecstasy during a night out

Paul Faith / PA Archive/Press Association Images

A teenage girl has died in Manchester after taking a form of ecstasy called 'Mastercard' during a night out.

Police authorities were called at around 5am this morning after the girl allegedly suffered an adverse reaction to the drug in a nightclub in the city. She was then transferred to hospital, but died a short time later.

Officers investigating her death are now concerned about the welfare of others who may have taken the pills and are urging them to seek immediate medical attention. 

Speaking about the tragedy, a detective said:

"This is a tragic situation, the death of a young person is always devastating, but in these circumstances, it is all the more heart breaking. My thoughts are with her family and friends at this time."

"Sadly we know it is very unlikely that the girl was the only person to have taken this drug last night. We are appealing to anyone who may have taken this form of ecstasy, known as 'MasterCard' to get checked out urgently. Even if you took it some hours ago, this pill will still be in your system and could be seriously harming your health."

 

news cards