Irish Water responsible for vermin control in the water system
Residents have been advised to watch their backsides during floods, after a man in east Cork was bitten by a rat while sitting on the throne.
Yesterday, Cllr Noel Collins reported an incident in the bustling commuter town of Midleton, Co Cork, to Cork County Council after asking them to investigate the possibility of flushing rat poison through the sewer system.
"The flooding resulted in another problem for residents, that of rat infestation, which really upset many families, mentally and physically, and indeed, one elderly gentleman suffered a rat bite to his posterior while using his toilet, and had to receive immediate medical attention," he told Cork's Evening Echo.
"I would advise homeowners to keep their toilet seats down when not in use, and to watch their posteriors."
A plumber found a broken sewer pipe nearby, which is believed to have allowed vermin to enter the system.
The council warned that flushing rat poison through the public system could lead to contamination of other water sources, but said that Irish Water are responsible for vermin control within the system.
It seems sorting problem is going to be a real pain in the you-know-what for all concerned.