British man and Dutch citizens among victims of Brussels attacks

At least 31 people were killed in the attacks on the airport and Maalbeek metro station

Image: Alastair Grant / AP/Press Association Images

Image: Alastair Grant / AP/Press Association Images

A British man who had been missing since the deadly terror attacks in Brussels has been confirmed dead.

The family of David Dixon, 53, who was originally from Hartlepool but was living in the Belgian capital, said they had received "the most terrible and devastating news about our beloved David".

More than 30 people were killed and 270 injured when suicide bombs hit Zaventem airport and Maalbeek metro station on Tuesday morning.

Three terrorists blew themselves up in Tuesday's atrocities, and a massive manhunt has been launched to track down other suspects believed to have been involved.

Earlier, a Dutch brother and sister who were flying to New York were confirmed as victims of the attacks.

Sascha and Alexander Pinczowski were waiting to return to the US, where they were living, when they were caught up in the airport blast.

They had been visiting Maastricht in the Netherlands where their father lives, according to CBS New York.

Loubna Lafquiri, a teacher at an Islamic school in Brussels, also died. The mother-of-three, who was killed in the metro station blast, was described as a "remarkable teacher".

Another of the victims has been named as 51-year-old Fabienne Vansteenkiste. She had just finished her shift as a baggage handler when two bombs exploded in the airport, local media reports said.

The death of student Leopold Hecht in the metro station bombing was confirmed with "immense sadness" by the rector of Saint-Louis University in the Belgian capital.

Olivier Delespesse also died at the station. His death was confirmed by the French Community of Belgium, of which he was a member.

Peruvian mother of three-year-old twins, Adelma Tapia Ruiz, was one of those killed in the airport attack.

The 37-year-old died while checking in at Zaventem airport, ahead of a planned trip to visit relatives in New York.

According to reports her husband and two daughters survived the attack. The girls are said to have gone off to play, with their father in pursuit, moments before one of the blasts.

Approximately 40 nationalities are represented among the dead and wounded, including people from Britain, China, Colombia, Ecuador, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Hungary, Portugal, Romania, Spain and the United States.