Gardaí "taking no chances" amid tight security for funerals of gangland victims

Two murder investigations have been launched into the attacks

David Byrne, Eddie Hutch Senior, gangland, shootings, funerals, gardai, John Mooney

Armed gardaí from the Emergency Response Unit on patrol in north inner-city Dublin | Image: Niall Carson / PA Wire/Press Association Images

Tight security is expected to be in place ahead of the funerals of David Byrne and Eddie Hutch Senior in Dublin in the last week.

The funeral of Mr Byrne, who was shot dead at the Regency hotel last Friday, is expected to take place in the coming days - followed by the funeral of
Eddie Hutch Senior, who was shot dead on Monday.

Two murder investigations have been launched in the wake of the attacks.

Extra resources, including an injection of €5m of extra funding, has been made available to combat the threat of further gangland activity.

Security correspondent with the Sunday Times, John Mooney, says it is likely a major security operation will be in place.

"Garda headquarters are taking no chances - I think they've put in place quite significant surveillance on, I suppose, everything got to do with these two separate funerals", he told Newstalk Breakfast.

"I know the guards have appointed liaison officers to deal with both families" he added.