18-year-old student hospitalised after drug overdose dies

The students took the psychoactive substance 25I-NBOMe

An 18-year-old student who was hospitalised earlier this week after a drug overdose has died.

The student, from Milstreet, became critically ill after consuming what has been confirmed as 25I-NBOMe - a psychoactive substance - at a house party in Cork. 

Mr Ryan is an alumnus of Millstreet Community School and is survived by his mother, Irena and his older sister, Nicole

Through a HSE spokesperson, his family has appealed for privacy.

Seven people ingested the substance at the house and five others were taken ill but were later discharged from hospital.

A 28-year-old man was arrested in connection with the supply of the drug and was later released without charge.

A file is being prepared for the Director of Public Prosecutions.

Following the incident the Health Service Executive (HSE) addiction services are issuing a warning about possible contaminated 'party pills' - and are advising people to not consume any unknown substances.

More follows