Woman in England claims €43m lottery ticket was 'damaged in wash'

The record jackpot was split between two winners - one of whom has yet to come forward

england, uk, lottery, damaged, wash,

Image: Yui Mok / PA Wire/Press Association Images

A woman in the England has claimed she has the missing £33m (more than €43m) lottery ticket from a recent record draw - but says the bar code has come off in the wash.

The woman rushed into her local newsagent, Ambleside News, in Worcester, on Friday, with the tattered piece of paper.

The ticket featured the winning combination of numbers - 26, 27, 46, 47, 52, 58 - but the date, bar code and serial number had been washed off, The Times reports.

The woman told paper: "I've been a nervous wreck. I haven't slept all night.

"Since I found it in my jeans pocket, my daughter and I have been drying it out with a hairdryer. You can see the 2016 but not the date.

"This is one of only two shops I buy my tickets, and I remember coming in here the day before (the draw), because I had to buy something else."

Lottery officials confirmed that it was aware of the case.

A spokesman advised the woman to contact them in writing. The woman has apparently sent the ticket’s remains to lottery bosses.

Shop owner Natu Patel, 64, said: "[Lottery operator] Camelot called to say the press might contact me. It sounded quite mysterious."

Mr Patel said he had no way of checking if the ticket was bought at his shop in Warndon unless he could scan it, an impossibility with the missing barcode.

He reportedly advised the woman, who is remaining anonymous, to put the remains in a clear plastic envelope with a piece of cardboard for protection. 

UK lottery officials have descended on Worcester after it emerged that the ticket for the 9 January draw was bought in the city.

The 14-times rollover prize of £66m was split between two winners, with Scottish couple David and Carol Martin taking half of the cash.

The couple, both aged 54, said they plan to take early retirement as soon as possible after announcing their win last week.

The second ticket-holder has until 7 July to come forward.

If it remains unclaimed, the £33m will go towards UK National Lottery projects.