All of the puppies had swollen abdomens from parasite infestation
The ISPCA says five week old puppies were put in a box and left to die in the Meelin area of north Cork this week.
All of the puppies hadswollen abdomens from parasite infestation, and were very dull and lethargic.
They were taken to the ISPCA Equine Rescue Centre in Mallow for vet assessment and treatment.
They are still very weak and will require ongoing vet treatment to help them cope.
ISPCA inspector Lisa O’Donovan said: "It is disgraceful that someone would abandon such young little defenceless puppies when they are so ill".
"Once again here we see what happens when the breeding of dogs is allowed by irresponsible, careless owners".
"To imagine someone cast them aside to die in a ditch is inhumane. We are hopeful that they will make a full recovery and will be available for adoption in the new year".
The ISPCA is asking those considering adding a new pet to their home to visit their local rescue centres or go to the ISPCA website.
The ISPCA is also warning that pets do not make good surprise Christmas gifts and should never be bought on a whim or given as a surprise at any time of year.