Las Vegas police say at least 58 people have been killed and 515 injured in the shooting
Police say more at least 58 people have been killed and 515 injured after a shooting at a country music festival in Las Vegas.
It is believed the gunman opened fire on the crowd from a room in the Mandalay Bay Hotel.
Police have have named him as local resident Stephen Paddock (64).
Swat teams used explosives to get into the shooter's hotel room on the 32nd floor adding that he was found dead when they gained entry.
Investigators are still searching the room, however Sheriff Joe Lombardo said he had more than ten rifles with him.
Paddock is not believed to be connected to any militant group and US Homeland Security says there's no 'specific credible threat' to other public venues.
Islamic State has claimed it was behind the attack - saying the killer recently converted to Islam.
However, FBI Special Agent Aaron Rouse has said that is not true.
"We have determined to this point no connection with an international terrorist group," he said.
"As this investigation continues, we will continue to work with our partners to ensure that this is factually, thoroughly and absolutely investigated."
Vegas authorities have been appealing for people to give blood because so many people are in hospital.
Police were looking for Paddock's companion, Marilou Danley, and a red 2017 Hyundai Tuscon, however they have since located both the woman and the car in question.
Investigators said Ms Danley was located in a foreign country and was not with Paddock during the attack.
We have located the vehicles in question, and we are confident we have located the female person of interest.— LVMPD (@LVMPD) October 2, 2017
Speaking at press conference this afternoon, US President Donald Trump said the country was united in “sadness, shock and grief.”
Calling the attack an “act of pure evil” he said many lives had been saved through the speed of response from the emergency services.
He made no mention of gun control or the US second amendment.
“The FBI and the Department of Homeland Security are working closely with local authorities to assist with the investigation and they will provide updates as to the investigation and how it develops.
“I want to thank the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department and all of the courageous first responders for their courageous efforts and for helping to save the lives of so many.
“The speed with which they acted is miraculous and prevented further loss of life.
“To have found the shooter so quickly after the first shots were fired is something for which we will always be thankful and grateful. It shows what true professionalism is all about.”
The gunman's brother Eric Hudson Paddock said he was horrified to hear what had happened.
“Except that it came in on all five of my phones in the house and the cells and everything lit up at the same time - I would have thought it was one of my friends joking,” he said.
“But when you get a call to say that your brother just killed a bunch of people ...
“We are shocked, horrified; completely dumbfounded.”
Foreign Affairs Minister Simon Coveney said: "I strongly condemn the attack at the Route 91 Harvest country music festival in Las Vegas.
"This was a savage and brutal attack targeting innocent festival-goers.
"I wish to express my heartfelt condolences and those of the Irish people to the families of the victims, those who were injured and to the people and the authorities of the United States on this tragic day."
He said there are no current indications to suggest that any Irish citizens have been affected.
"I am conscious, however, that it will take time before all of the casualties are identified."
The department says it is continuing to monitor the situation through the Irish Consulate General in San Francisco and Honorary Consulate in Las Vegas.
Witnesses described it as "chaos" as thousands fled the outdoor concert next to the Mandalay Bay on the city's iconic Strip.
Concert-goers described seeing flashes from the upper floors of the building.
Several long bursts of automatic gunfire can be heard in video from the concert, with the first shots coming as singer Jason Aldean performed.
Footage shows the moment the sound of gunfire stops a Las Vegas concert. There are reports of multiple injuries pic.twitter.com/y5x0bA1F8N— Sky News (@SkyNews) October 2, 2017
In a post on Instagram, Jason Aldean says: "Tonight has been beyond horrific.
"I still dont know what to say but wanted to let everyone know that me and my crew are safe.
"My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved tonight.
"It hurts my heart that this would happen to anyone who was just coming out to enjoy what should have been a fun night. #heartbroken #stopthehate".
Tonight has been beyond horrific. I still dont know what to say but wanted to let everyone know that Me and my Crew are safe. My Thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved tonight. It hurts my heart that this would happen to anyone who was just coming out to enjoy what should have been a fun night. #heartbroken #stopthehate
A post shared by Jason Aldean (@jasonaldean) on
Police say they do not believe there are any more shooters involved.
"Several" people are being taken to hospital with gunshot wounds, said University Medical Center spokeswoman Danita Cohen.
Christine O'Hanlon is from Dublin and was at a nearby hotel when the shooting happened.
"All of a sudden there was a bit of a commotion and people started to run.
"And at first we weren't really sure what was happening but... I could hear popping sounds an obviously that was gunfire but we didn't realise it at the time.
"Then people were running, it was like a stampede.
"All of the people working in the casino - they all got down behind the card tables.
"Now we're on lock down in our hotel rooms".
One witness told Fox News: "It was bad. There were multiple people hit, a lot of people shot. The area we had for medics was completely flooded with people.
"We carried at least four or five people to the MT area.
"Two people that I know for sure were trampled... one gentleman was shot on the top of the head, another gentleman was shot in the leg, a lady was shot in her side... another lady caught a round to the side of her head."
Witness Jack Freedman said he and his friend saw the carnage unfold from the bar of the Delano Hotel, which overlooks the concert ground.
"We saw bodies hitting the ground. We saw people getting shot," he said.
"It was so well lit up because of all the lights of the concert, you could clearly see dozens and dozens of bodies on the ground, just piled up on the ground.
"Watching people run, and bodies hitting the floor as people were running."
After the bar was evacuated and people were told to head down to the lobby, Mr Freedman said he could instantly smell gunpowder, saying it "reeked of gunfire".
An estimated 40,000 people were attending the last day of the three-day Route 91 Harvest Festival.
Flights from the city's airport have been temporarily suspended and part of the Las Vegas Strip has been closed off.
McCarran Airport says "limited" flights in and out of Las Vegas have resumed after being temporarily halted earlier.
It is asking passengers to check with their airline.
Limited flight activity has resumed at @LASairport. Please monitor flight status with your airline. Expect on going delays.— McCarran Airport (@LASairport) October 2, 2017
The Irish Consulate in San Francisco says it is aware of the situation in Las Vegas.
It is asking Irish citizens to follow instructions from the police.
The Consulate is aware of a situation in Las Vegas. Irish citizens are advised to follow instructions from @LVMPD— Irish Consulate W US (@IrelandSanFran) October 2, 2017
Children's Minister Katherine Zappone, who is from the US, says her thoughts are with everyone caught up in the shooting.
Sergeant Jeff Clark is from the Las Vegas Police Department. He is asking people to stay away from the area.
Additional reporting: IRN