Councillors call for urgent review of fire safety following Dublin blaze

A neighbour who climbed a ladder and cut through iron bars to rescue the family has been hailed a hero

Councillors call for urgent review of fire safety following Dublin blaze

The scene of the fire at Tyrone Place in Inchicore, Dublin, 19-09-2017. Image: Eamonn Farrell/RollingNews

A fire safety audit is due to be carried out at a flat complex in Dublin following a blaze that left a mother and three children in hospital.

Two of the family members – a woman in her 30s and her eight-year-old son – received critical injuries in the fire at Tyrone Place in Inchicore.

Two other siblings were injured but one has since been discharged from hospital.

Yesterday, gardaí said they are treating the blaze as suspicious.

A neighbour who climbed a ladder and cut through iron bars to help rescue the family has been hailed a hero today.

Greg Bolger said he will never forget the moment he saw a 13-year-old boy trapped behind security bars on the window:

“He was actually screaming for help through the bars and things like that,” he said. “it was actually very, very frightening.”

“I don’t think I will ever forget his face and that is being absolutely honest with you. It was absolutely horrible.”

Mr Bolger, who has lived beside the family for three years, said he was still in shock in afternoon.

“I am still thinking of what happened and what I did,” he said.

“The amount of people that have told me that I could have been killed – I didn’t even think of that.

“It was only last night when I actually sat down and my partner said to me, ‘what were you doing, what were you thinking’ and I said ‘I don’t know, I wasn’t thinking.”

Dublin City Council meanwhile is reassuring residents the apartment-complex is safe.

Peter Finnegan is the area manager for Dublin South Central said there may be a “bigger issue to look at how we gradually over time replace housing stock” but insisted the complex is “safe and in good use at the moment.”

“I just want to stress that it is no unsafe to live at Tyrone Place at the moment in terms of fire,” he said.

“I want to be very clear that that message goes out to the residents of Tyrone Place.

“This incident is the first incident of its kind in a long time.”

Councillors have called for an urgent review of fire safety in Tyrone Place including an examination of potential escape routes for residents.