Gardaí in Cork investigating sudden death of homeless woman

The woman was discovered in a tent at Gillabbey Park early on Friday morning

Gardaí in Cork investigating sudden death of homeless woman

File photo. Photo: Leon Farrell/RollingNews.ie

Updated 14.30

Gardaí in Cork are investigating the sudden death of a homeless woman in the city yesterday morning.

The 30-year-old woman was discovered in a tent at Gilabbey Park at around 2am on Friday morning.

She was taken to Cork University Hospital, where she was later pronounced dead.

Gardaí at the Bridewell in Cork are investigating, but they say foul play is not suspected.

Campaigns and Communications Manager with Cork Simon Community Paul Sheehan says it's a "tragedy for a woman so young to lose her life on the streets":

Church of Ireland Bishop of Cork Paul Colton said the woman was found near St Fin Barre’s Cathedral.

In a statement, he said: "I was deeply shocked when I woke this morning to the news that in our own neighbourhood a young woman, not yet named, who, I understand, had been staying in a tent not many metres from here, has been found dead.

"My thoughts and prayers are with her loved ones and friends."

It follows the separate deaths of a homeless man in Dublin and a woman in Kildare earlier this week.

Sinn Féin's housing spokesperson Eoin Ó Broin said the three deaths "should not have happened".

He argued: "[These tragedies] are the direct result of a broken housing system that does not meet the needs of some of societies most vulnerable people.

“The Housing and homeless crisis needs action, not words. More importantly, there is a need for a radical change of policy direction."

Cork North-Central TD Mick Barry says the Dail should be recalled early to tackle the homeless crisis, which he said is getting worse "week on week":

"More people become homeless every week"

Vigil outside the Dail in memory of the two homeless people who died over the last few days, including former Apollo House resident , Stephen 'Jack' Watson. Photo: Eamonn Farrell/RollingNews.ie

A vigil was held outside Leinster House last night in memory of Jack Watson, the homeless man who died in Dublin’s city centre on Thursday.

The Taoiseach has admitted the Government is struggling to get ahead of the homelessness crisis.

Leo Varadkar says a lot is being done - but acknowledged that more is needed.

He explained: "We are struggling to get ahead of the problem, because even though more people were taken out of homelessness this year than any year in the past, more people become homeless every week.

"That's what makes it a very difficult problem to solve."

Figures released yesterday showed 99 families became homeless in Dublin in July.

Homelessness charity Focus Ireland said it's the second highest number recorded since 2013, and the highest number since January 2016.

It means a record number of 1,178 families with 2,423 children are homeless in the capital.