Second man arrested following Dutch concert terror tip-off

Police have suggested a van driver arrested last night may not be connected with the possible threat

Second man arrested following Dutch concert terror tip-off

Officers stand behind a cordoned-off area in Rotterdam. Picture by: AP/Press Association Images

Dutch police have arrested a second suspect in connection to an alleged threat which led to the cancellation of a concert, according to reports.

The concert, by Los Angeles band Allah-Las in the port city of Rotterdam, was called off on Wednesday night after Spanish authorities apparently tipped off Dutch police about a possible threat.

A Spanish man was arrested on Wednesday night driving a van containing "a couple of gas bottles" close to the Maassilo venue in the city.

A 22-year-old man living in the Dutch province of Brabant was arrested on Thursday morning, police confirmed.

Ahmed Aboutaleb, mayor of Rotterdam, told a news conference: "In the early evening I was warned by telephone that we had received a threat which had implications for an American concert at the Maasilo in Rotterdam.

"This signal came from the Spanish police to the Dutch police. We cannot say now if the van with the canisters was linked to the threat."

Dutch police suggested the driver of the van may not be connected with the warning, and that 'nothing of interest' other than the gas bottles was found.

They stated: "The driver, a mechanic, gave an explanation of why the bottles were in his van. His house was searched last night and no link with the terror threat was found."

They say the man, who appeared to be under the influence of alcohol, will be questioned further 'when sober'.

A counterterrorism official said Spain's Civil Guard received "an alert indicating the possibility of an attack in a concert that was going to take place in Rotterdam".

The four-piece US band was escorted from the venue by police wearing bullet-proof vests.

In a statement, they said they were "unharmed and are very grateful to the Rotterdam police and other responsible agencies for detecting the potential threat before anyone was hurt".

The Maassilo venue was searched by Dutch anti-terror police officers after the crowd had been evacuated.

A spokesman for the Dutch justice ministry said the terror threat level in the Netherlands remains at four, out of a possible five.