Family confirm missing child was killed in Barcelona attack

Julian Cadman had been missing since the attack - in which his mother received serious injuries

Family confirm missing child was killed in Barcelona attack

Seven-year-old Julian Cadman who died in the Barcelona terror attack

Updated 15:30

It has been confirmed that seven-year-old Australian boy Julian Cadman was among those killed in the Barcelona terror attack.

Julian had been missing since the attack in which his mother received serious injuries.

She was taken hospital where she remains in a serious condition.

It had been unclear what had happened to Julian, who had dual British-Australian nationality, and his family shared pictures of him online in a bid to find him.

The Spanish missing persons bureau confirmed this afternoon that he died after a van was deliberately crashed into pedestrians on Las Ramblas on Thursday.

In a statement, it said: "Julian Cadman's family has told us he is unfortunately one of the victims of the attack and has asked us to thank all the people who have spread the news.

"In these very unjust, hard and painful moments, we accompany Julian's family and friends. Rest in peace.

"Once again we wish to reiterate our appreciation and involvement in your search."

Julian’s father and grandmother are believed to have arrived in Spain on Saturday after travelling from Australia.

In a statement his family said: "We are so blessed to have had him in our lives and will remember his smiles and hold his memory dear to our hearts."

A Belgian and an Italian have been confirmed as also being among the dead in Barcelona.

Police said the van driver was part of a Islamist extremist cell which also attacked members of the public in the coastal resort of Cambrils a few hours after the Las Ramblas atrocity.

A woman was killed in the second vehicle rampage, and several other civilians were injured, along with a police officer.

Some 34 nationalities were among those hurt in Las Ramblas and Cambrils, which lies around 70 miles to the south west.

Meanwhile, police have identified two bodies found in a house destroyed by a huge blast linked to the attacks.