Morning top 5: Barcelona van attack driver may still be at large; Police officer dead following Orlando shooting

The top stories this morning on Newstalk.com

Spanish police hunting for the driver of the van used in the Barcelona attack are focusing their efforts on a 22-year-old Moroccan national.

According to the Spanish newspaper El Pais - Younes Abouyaaqoub is said to be at the centre of the investigation into the massacre on Las Ramblas.

Abouyaaqoub is a Moroccan national living in the Spanish town of Ripoll, who is understood to be a key member of a jihadist cell.

Of the 12 people police say they are investigating, Abouyaaqoub is the only one who has not been killed or detained.

***

Gardaí are pursuing 300 lines of enquiry following the murder of a 30-year-old man and a mother of six in Ballymun in Dublin.

The incident happened at Balbutcher Drive on Wednesday.

A large Garda presence remains in place in Ballymun, and armed patrols have been deployed.

Chief Superintendent Lorraine Wheatley said investigators are particularly interested in the movements of the vehicles used in the attack in the days running up to the shooting.

***

One police officer is dead and three others wounded - one seriously - after being shot in two cities in Florida.

Two were attacked in Jacksonsville in the north of the state - and two Kissimmee officers were shot south of Orlando.

Sam Howard and Matthew Baxter were checking an area known for drug activity - Officer Baxter died later in hospital.

***

The former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon has said he remains fully committed to the policies that carried US President Donald Trump to power.

Mr Bannon was a key adviser to the property tycoon during last year's election campaign and has been a contentious presence in the White House.

He reportedly submitted resignation on 7th August. It was set to be announced this week, but had been delayed by the violence in Charlottesville, Virginia over the weekend.

Mr Bannon is set to return to the far-right American news and opinion organisation Breitbart.

***

Security remains high in Finland following a knife attack in the country yesterday.

Two people are dead and six are injured after a man stabbed several people in the city of Turku.

The suspected attacker has been shot and arrested – however investigators are still trying to establish the motive behind the rampage.

The Irish embassy in Finland has confirmed that no Irish citizens were involved in the incident.