Spain terror attacks: What we know so far

At least thirteen people died and 100 more were injured in an attack in Barcelona city centre yesterday

Spain terror attacks: What we know so far

Armed police officers patrol a deserted street near La Ramblas, Barcelona, 18-08-2017. Image: AP Photo/Manu Fernandez

Spanish authorities have launched a sweeping anti-terrorism operation following two separate terrorist attacks in Catalonia. Here is what we know so far:

  • Five suspected terrorists have been killed during a police operation in Cambrils - a coastal town 62 miles southwest of Barcelona - shortly after 1am local time on Friday morning.
  • Six civilians and a police officer were also injured in the attack when the group, said to be wearing "explosive belts," launched a van attack similar to that in Barcelona just hours earlier.
  • The Cambrils attack came after a van hit a crowd in the La Ramblas area of Barcelona city centre on Thursday afternoon.
  • At least thirteen people died and 100 more were hurt - 15 of them seriously.
  • At least 24 nationalities are among the victims – including one Irish family who were injured in the attack.
  • The husband and wife are Irish citizens originally from the Philippines who were in the Catalan capital alongside their two Irish-born children.
  • It is understood that some members of the family may have been seriously injured –however their injuries are not thought to be life threatening.
  • French authorities have said 26 French citizens were injured in the Barcelona attacks.
  • An explosion that killed at least one person on Wednesday - at a house in Alcanar, 124 miles away from Las Ramblas - has been connected to the terror attack. Police suspect those in the house were "preparing an explosive device."
  • Islamic State has claimed responsibility for the attack, according to its Amaq agency.
  • Three national days of mourning have been announced in Spain.
  • A minute of silence is to be held across the country today.
  • Spain has launched a sweeping anti-terrorism operation in response to the attacks.
  • A manhunt is underway for the driver of the van that attacked the La Ramblas area. He is believed to have fled on foot.
  • Three people have been arrested in connection with the attack.
  • One of the men detained is the named suspect Driss Oukabir, a Moroccan national, who was from Marseille.
  • La Vanguardia reports he handed himself in after seeing his photo on the news, claiming his documentation had been stolen and he was not in Barcelona at the time of the attack.
  • The second arrested man is a Spanish national from Melilla – the Spanish autonomous city on the north coast of Africa.
  • This morning, it was reported that a third man had been arrested, though no more details about him have yet been released.
  • Several Metro stations have been closed in the area and buses have been re-routed. People are being urged to avoid travelling in the city centre unless it is absolutely necessary.