Evening top 5: 13 dead after Barcelona attack; Irish & world leaders condemn "cowardly" attack

Thursday's top stories on Newstalk.com...

13 dead and dozens injured after van hits crowd in Barcelona

Catalan emergency services say at least 13 people are dead and dozens wounded after a van crashed into a crowd in Barcelona.

A white van mounted the pavement of the main tourist area in the city and struck several people, police said.

Officials confirmed one man was arrested in connection with the attack, and later said a second person had also been detained.

"Wanton and cowardly" - Taoiseach and world leaders condemn Barcelona attack

Picture by: Manu Fernandez/AP/Press Association Images

World leaders have moved to condemn today's incident in Barcelona, which is being treated as a terrorist attack.

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar expressed 'his abhorrence' following the attack.

President Higgins, meanwhile, said: "As President of Ireland I want to send the people of this great and welcoming city not only our sympathy but also the solidarity of the people of Ireland.” 

Lawyers for Thomas and Molly Martens look to have Corbett trial verdict 'set aside'

Lawyers for Thomas and Molly Martens are looking to have the verdict in the Jason Corbett murder trial 'set aside', alleging misconduct by some jurors.

The father and daughter were earlier this month sentenced to between 20 and 25 years in prison for the murder of the Irish man.

Drone restrictions imposed during search for Trevor Deely

The entrance to the search site which An Garda Siochana are now calling a crime scene in the search for Trevor Deely | Image: Sam Boal/Rollingnews.ie

Transport Minister Shane Ross has asked the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) to ban drones above a site in Dublin where gardaí are searching for Trevor Deely.

A search has been continuing at a site in Chapelizod in the west of the city.

Two cases calling for gay marriage in Northern Ireland dismissed

Two cases calling for same-sex marriage to be recognised in Northern Ireland have been dismissed by the Belfast High Court.

The first saw two men calling for their union accepted under the law.

They were married in England but moved to Belfast. Legally that marriage had been changed to a civil partnership.