Man arrested over London jogging push released and 'eliminated from investigation'

Police say efforts to identify the jogger are continuing

Man arrested over London jogging push released and 'eliminated from investigation'

File photo

A man arrested in the UK on suspicion of pushing a woman into the path of a bus has been released and been ruled out as a suspect.

Earlier this week, police in the UK released footage appearing to show an as-yet unidentified male jogger knocking a woman over.

A bus just narrowly missed hitting the woman in the incident, which happened on May 5th.

A 41-year-old man was arrested on Thursday in connection with the investigation.

According to police in London, he has now been released and will face no further action.

Yesterday, lawyers said their client had been arrested, but insisted he had "irrefutable proof" he was in the US at the time of the incident.

Lawyers for Eric Bellquist stated: "Our client has been wrongly implicated in this matter.

"He categorically denies being the individual concerned and has irrefutable proof that he was in the United States at the time of the incident. Consequently we expect a swift resolution to this wholly untrue allegation."

In a statement announcing the arrested man's release, Met Police said: "Following enquiries, he has now been eliminated from the investigation.

"Enquiries continue to identity the jogger who pushed the female pedestrian into the road".