Morning top 5: Thousands of motoring convictions to be quashed; Rebellion suppressed in Venezuela; Three dead on Irish roads

The top stories this morning on Newstalk.com

Nearly 14,000 drivers could have their convictions quashed because they were wrongly served with a court summons when they had already paid a fixed charge notice.

Internal auditors in the Gardaí say the issue could affect thousands of drivers.

The auditors have also raised concern about senior management keeping them in the dark over major scandals.

The audit committee says it was never told about the breath test controversy or the issue of traffic fines being wrongly imposed.

***

Single first-time-buyers are spending nearly a third of their income on monthly mortgage repayments.

New figures from EBS have highlighted the spiralling cost of housing in Ireland.

The EBS - DKM Affordability index shows Couples purchasing for the first time in Dublin are spending over 27% of their income servicing their mortgage.

However, the situation for singles is even more worrying – with nearly a third of their monthly going towards repayments.

***

The President of Venezuela has announced that a small rebellion in the country has been quashed.

President Nicolas Maduro described it as a terrorist attack at a military base in the city of Valencia.

Two men were killed and seven people captured.

It comes after the release of a video by men in military uniforms, who warned that the president has too much power and claimed they were going to try to "restore democracy."

***

Gardaí are appealing for information regarding two fatal stabbings over recent days.

Three men in their 20's have been detained for questioning after a 25-year-old man died from stab wounds following an 'altercation' in the Marian Estate in Kilkee, County Clare yesterday morning.

Separately investigators in Dublin are appealing for information after a 32-year-old man was stabbed to death last week.

The man's body was discovered in a ditch in North County Dublin - but it is believed he was killed at a different location.

Anyone with any information regarding either incident is urged to get in contact with gardaí.

***

Three people have been killed on Irish roads this Bank Holiday Weekend.

A 22-year-old man became the third fatality after the car he was driving crashed into a wall in County Laois overnight.

A man in his 20s died in a single vehicle crash on Mayo on Saturday, while a motorcyclist in his 30s was killed in a collision in Leitrim.

Motorists are being urged to take extra care today and reminded that they may be over the legal limit this morning if they were drinking last night.

The gardaí will be out in force today in an effort to prevent any further fatalities.