Man arrested over rape of Spanish teen was barred from city centre

The man has been released by gardaí and a file is being prepared for the DPP

Man arrested over rape of Spanish teen was barred from city centre

Pigeon House Road in Dublin | Image: Google Earth

Updated 10:00

The man arrested in connection with the alleged rape of a Spanish teenager in Dublin had been ordered by a judge to stay out of the city centre.

The 18-year-old woman told Gardaí she met her attacker on the boardwalk in Dublin City Centre before he took her to a tent near Sandymount Strand where he raped her multiple times.

A 24-year-old man has been released without charge in relation to the allegations and a file is being prepared for the DPP.

He had previously been granted bail on criminal damage charges on the strict condition he stayed out of the city centre.

Crime Editor with the Irish Sun, Stephen Breen told The Pat Kenny Show that detectives are currently trying to trace his movements on CCTV.

“Right across from along the quays, right through on the Dart and on the Luas line right up to Sandymount,” he said.

“But also the gardaí are appealing for witnesses who may have seen a couple who were ill-at-ease perhaps on the Saturday or the Sunday – a couple who may have seemed out of place.

“Maybe she was in a distressed state so gardaí will also be conducting house-to-house inquiries.”

Solicitor Dara Robinson told Pat that there is likely a good reason why the suspect has been released:

"You would have to say, if there was sufficient evidence to put this man on trial, I would have thought he would have been charged," he said.

"I personally was surprised that it was a file to the DPP - I know nothing whatsoever about the case.

"I have to assume it is a case of insufficiency of evidence."

Brutal attack

The teenager told gardaí she met her attacker in Dublin city centre on Saturday night and boarded a southbound Dart with him.

She said she was pulled into a tent in the Pigeon House Road area while the pair walked through Ringsend.

She said she was tied up and subjected to multiple assaults over a number of hours.

This morning Independent.ie reporter Conor Feehan told Newstalk Breakfast the suspect had previously been warned he would be jailed if he broke his bail conditions:

“He was on bail for criminal damages charges,” he said. “While they are of a lesser nature than what this particular case involves – he was given fixed conditions.”

“I was in the court that day when he was given bail so this particular man was told in no uncertain terms that if he breached his bail conditions in any way that he would be behind bars.”

The woman immediately contacted gardaí after escaping her attacker and officers in Irishtown launched an investigation.