Prosecution completes case against Ibrahim Halawa

The defence will begin challenging video evidence next Sunday 16th July

Prosecution completes case against Ibrahim Halawa

Image: Facebook/Free Ibrahim Halawa

The prosecution has concluded its case against Ibrahim Halawa and approximately 330 other people in Egypt this afternoon.

The Dubliner’s trial was adjourned this afternoon for the 26th time – with defence lawyers expected to begin challenging video evidence at the next hearing, on Sunday July 16th.

The Firhouse native has now spent 1,423 days in prison since his arrest during demonstrations against the ousting of former Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi in August 2013.

Prisoner of conscience

Amnesty International has declared Mr Halawa a prisoner of conscience and insisted that he was arrested “solely for peacefully exercising his right to freedom of assembly and expression.”

The human rights group has warned that the video evidence has already been examined by a technical committee appointed by the Egyptian court - which found that it only contains information relating to two of the accused.

Mr Halawa is not mentioned in the technical committee report.

“The continuing imprisonment of this young Irish and EU citizen is a serious violation of both international and Egyptian law,” said Colm O’Gorman, Director of Amnesty international Ireland.

“Over the last 46 months, Ibrahim has endured a horrifying ordeal.

“Amnesty International continues to be gravely concerned for his mental and physical wellbeing.

Immediate and unconditional release

Mr O’Gorman again called on the Egyptian authorities for Mr Halawa’s “immediate and unconditional release” and urged the Irish government to continue working to secure his safe return to Ireland.

“This young Irish man should be at home in Dublin, with his family and friends,” said Mr O’Gorman.

“Instead, he’s spent almost four years languishing in an Egyptian prison awaiting trial for crimes he did not commit.”

Mr Halawa was 17-years-old when he was arrested alongside his sisters at the Al Fath Mosque in Cairo.

His sister’s were released on bail and have returned to Ireland.

The Foreign Affairs Minister Simon Coveney has insisted the Irish Government cannot intervene in a trial that is before the Egyptian courts.

Speaking last week he said: "What we can do, and what we are doing, is re-doubling our efforts to ensure that the Egyptian authorities fulfil the clear commitment which they have given us to resolve this issue as soon as the trial ends, and return Ibrahim Halawa to Ireland."

Minister Coveney has met with the Egyptian ambassador in Dublin, Soha Gendi, to discuss the case.