Morning top 5: Noonan under fire over AIB sale; Childline answers 400,000 calls; Three men released in Manchester

The top stories this morning on Newstalk.com

The Finance Minister is under fire over his decision to press ahead with selling off a quarter of AIB shares.

The Labour leader Brendan Howlin has accused Michael Noonan of "flouting the will of the Dáil" - which recently passed a motion calling for the sale to be stalled.

The government says EU regulations mean it must use the €3bn proceeds to pay down the national debt.

Deputy Howlin wants the expected 3 billion euro proceeds to be spent on hospitals and transport – and has insisted there is an appetite within Europe to allow investment in capital within Ireland.

***

The new UN Secretary General has said it is time for world leaders to “get on board the climate change train.”

He said it is absolutely essential the Paris Climate Agreement be implemented in full adding that, “the train is leaving the station.”

Mr Guterres has outlined a series of measures he is taking to encourage world leaders to tackle the issue.

The United States is reportedly weighing up its involvement in the deal, with President Donald Trump voicing concerns over the impact it could have on the US economy.

***

Childline answered nearly 400,000 calls for help last year.

The vast majority were made out of hours when there is no one else to speak to.

The ISPCC has released its report for 2016 which shows its 24-hour listening service took more than 1,000 calls a day.

It also points out the excellent outcomes achieved for children through its childhood support and mentoring services.

The phone service is the only 24-hour helpline for children in Ireland.

***

The US has successfully shot down an intercontinental ballistic missile, during the first-ever defence test of its kind.

Officials said the test of the Ground Based Midcourse Defence (GMD) system at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California was successful.

It has been hailed as a major milestone in America's programme of protection against North Korea.

***

Three of the 14 people arrested in connection with the Manchester attack have been released without charge.

Greater Manchester Police said two men aged 20 and 24 from the Fallowfield area and a 37-year-old man from the Blackley area had been released.

It means 11 people are still detained following the suicide bombing at an Arian Grande concert in the Manchester Arena.

22 people were killed in the attack and the American pop icon is to headline a benefit concert in the city on Sunday.