The long running saga will finally come to an end
In what feels like one of the longest running tech stories of the last five years, Samsung has announced its intention to finally kill the remaining Note 7 devices. A battery flaw with a number of Note 7 phones caused for a global recall back in 2016.
It would appear that not everyone took part in the global recall, which saw users return their Note 7 in exchange for a refund or other device. The company announced it will begin to remotely "phase out" the units still at large by forcing a software update. This update will prevent the Note 7 from charging, according to reports in The Korea Herald.
The firm says more than 96% of Note 7 units sold around the world have been returned. This was thanks, no doubt, to the 'exchange hotspots' set up at various locations, including airports. It appears that Samsung will kill off the remaining 4% of devices, putting this entire saga to bed.
The firm is set to move on from this episode this week by unveiling their first flagship since the launch of the Note 7 last year. While details are few and far between, the firm unveiled this teaser.
The phone will be unveiled to the world on March 29th.