Union members voted in favour of industrial action last month
An all-out strike at 70 Tesco stores tomorrow has been called off.
Representatives from trade union Mandate and management at the company have been invited to meet at the Workplace Relations Commission (WRC).
A meeting between the parties will now take place on Friday.
Mandate yesterday said an indefinite strike would go ahead after marathon talks at the WRC broke down. However, industrial action was cancelled this afternoon to facilitate talks.
Union members voted in favour of industrial action last month, after the retailer proposed new contracts with reduced rates for employees taken on before 1996.
The dispute centres on planned pay cuts of up to 35% and lower overtime for around 300 longer-serving staff.
"Tesco will not set any further dates for the implementation of contract changes and Mandate have therefore deferred their intention to proceed with industrial action," Mandate said.
A strike scheduled for last week was also called off earlier this month, after Tesco postponed the new contracts.
"We deferred the proposed implementation date for this contract change to facilitate constructive discussions in the WRC, for which we have always been available, and we made no decision at the WRC about setting a new implementation date," the company said yesterday.