ISPCA reminds pet owners to keep animals indoors on Monday night
Pet owners have been warned to keep their animals in a secure part of their house during Halloween.
The ISPCA has stressed the importance of ensuring pets don’t slip out an open front door on Monday night.
While Halloween is a fun time for trick-or-treaters, owners should remember chocolate is highly toxic to dogs and ensure treats are kept well out of their reach, it said.
The animal welfare organisation also warned that candles and Halloween decorations that can be chewed or swallowed ought to be kept away from pets.
It recommended that dogs be walked earlier than usual to avoid the fireworks and bonfires that often cause stress for animals.
This has the added benefit of ensuring dogs are be ready to rest in the evening, meaning they may not be as reactive to ringing doorbells and commotion, the ISPCA pointed out.
The group suggested that pet owners leave a TV or radio on to drown out some of the noise from the night’s festivities.
Those with serious concerns about their animals may want to consult with a vet in advance about possible training or medication to help deal with stress.
The ISCPA also recommended that all pets be microchipped as a permanent form of identification.
This is a legal requirement for all dogs and equines, but it should also be considered for cats, it said.
Halloween can a dangerous time for our wildlife as well, and bonfire makers have been advised to check all wood, scrub and leaves for hibernating hedgehogs.
Anyone who witnesses animal cruelty has been urged to contact local gardaí, or the ISPCA National Animal Cruelty Helpline in confidence on 1890 515 515.
More tips, via the ISPCA:
Dogs and cats