The Slieve Russell Hotel in Cavan shut its doors yesterday due to the bug
The Slieve Russell hotel has closed down temporarily due to a bug that spread through the premises.
In a statement this afternoon, the HSE confirmed that the hotel shut its doors on the 19th of December "Due to an increased incidence of norovirus infection among residents, staff and patrons of the hotel."
The hotel notified the HSE on the 12th of December that there had been a number of people suffering from vomiting and diarrhoea illness at the hotel.
Clinical testing then confirmed that this outbreak was caused by the norovirus infection.
The HSE said "There is presently a high incidence of this infection in the community in Ireland and outbreaks have been noted in hospitals, residential care homes and schools throughout the country."
A spokeswoman for the HSE also said "Hotel staff worked closely with HSE to implement the recommended measures and minimise the risk of further infections in the hotel."
"HSE public health and environmental health staff met with hotel management on the 19th of December and agreed that additional measures including a full deep-clean of all surfaces and furnishings in the hotel would be required.
In a statement released by the Slieve Russell hotel they said "We deeply regret any inconvenience caused to our guests by the temporary closure of the hotel as a precautionary measure due to an outbreak of the Norovirus, which has been prevalent in Cavan in recent weeks."
"We appreciate that this decision will the disrupt plans of guests who have booked events with us and we are making every effort to find alternative venues to minimise the inconvenience caused."