The US President-elect thanked the group yesterday...
Fiat Chrysler has moved to clarify that Donald Trump's victory in the US presidential election had no impact on its decision to invest $1bn in expanding its production plants in Ohio and Michigan.
The American-Italian firm's announcement came ahead of the major Detroit auto show, which kicked off on Sunday and runs until January 22nd and as car manufacturers feel the wrath of US President-elect Donald Trump on Twitter, predominantly for investing in Mexican facilities.
The move, which will create 2,000 jobs, was welcomed by Mr Trump through a series of tweets.
It's finally happening - Fiat Chrysler just announced plans to invest $1BILLION in Michigan and Ohio plants, adding 2000 jobs. This after...— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 9, 2017
Ford said last week that it will expand in Michigan and U.S. instead of building a BILLION dollar plant in Mexico. Thank you Ford & Fiat C!— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 9, 2017
Statement from the company clarified that this is part of a plan which was been in the works since 2015 and that it was not a reaction to November's election.
The company clarified that there was no communication between Mr Trump and Fiat Chrysler before the announcement.
"All of the plans were conceived in 2015 and articulated in 2016 and now we have come full circle," a spokesperson told The Independent.
This comes weeks after Toyota and Ford announced plans to invest in US operations – both were previously criticised by Trump for considering investments in Mexican plants.