Evening top 5: Trump plans "massive" military build-up; Unions preparing for "Protracted" Bus Éireann strike; Tesco strikes suspended

The top stories of the day on Newstalk.com ...

Trump pledges "massive" military investment

US President Donald Trump has pledged to begin “one of the greatest military build-ups in American history” and insisted construction of a wall along the southern border with Mexico is “going to start soon.”

President Trump was addressing the Conservative Political Action Conference in Maryland today.

He used the opportunity to launch another scathing attack on what he called the “fake media” - again describing it as the “enemy of the people” - and defended his opening weeks in power.

Tesco strikes suspended in preparation for talks

The union representing workers at Tesco have agreed to suspend strike action as both sides in the dispute engage in discussions at the Labour Court.

Workers at 16 stores across the country have been on strike since last week. 

Another 24 stores were balloted for industrial action earlier this week – with six agreeing to join the picket next week and the remaining 18 choosing not to get involved.

Unions preparing for "protracted" Bus Éireann strike

Commuters are facing travel chaos after SIPTU told its members at Bus Eireann to prepare for “protracted” strike action.

The union also called on its members to support a political campaign targeting rural TDs who it claimed are “propping up a government which is intent on destroying the public bus transport system in their own constituencies.”

The National Transport Authority (NTA) has consistently pledged to ensure that rural connectivity is protected if both Bus Éireann and private networks are unable to keep services in place.

Concern mounts for hospitalised Ibrahim Halawa

Concern is mounting for the welfare of Irish citizen Ibrahim Halawa.

His family say he has been moved from his jail cell in Egypt to the prison's hospital as his heart condition deteriorates.

The Dubliner has been on hunger strike and is now refusing water.

The Department of Foreign of Affairs is to visit with him in the coming days.

Commissioner facing fresh calls to stand aside

The Garda Commissioner is facing renewed calls to stand aside while a tribunal of inquiry into the garda whistleblower scandal is underway.

The Charleton tribunal is due to begin its work on Monday in Dublin Castle - just 11 days after its terms of reference were passed by the Dáil and the Seanad.

The inquiry has been set up to look into allegations made by Superintendent Dave Taylor, the former head of the Garda press office, who says he was instructed by senior officers to smear the Garda whistleblower Maurice McCabe.