Homeless man hailed as 'hero' after Manchester attack admits stealing from victims

Chris Parker's lawyer told the court he was sorry for his "appalling behaviour"

News

Armed police at Manchester Arena after reports of an explosion at the venue during an Ariana Grande gig. Picture by: Peter Byrne/PA Wire/PA Images

14:55 3 Jan 2018 Newstalk 14:55 Wednesday 3 January 2018

A "homeless hero" who was praised for his response in the Manchester Arena attack has pleaded guilty to stealing from the victims.

Chris Parker was charged with theft of a purse and theft of a mobile phone from two people outside the MEN Arena, during the terror incident of May 22.

Bomber Salman Abedi killed 22 after he detonated a suicide bomb following an Ariana Grande gig last year.

Parker was widely praised for his response to the attack, as he spoke to news outlets about helping the injured.

The 33-year-old has admitted taking the purse of Pauline Healey, as her granddaughter, Sorrell Leczkowski, 14, lay dying yards away.

He also pleaded guilty to taking a mobile phone belonging to a teenage girl who cannot be named because of her age.

Parker also admitted one count of fraud at Manchester Crown Court today, after using Mrs Healey's bank cards in McDonald's on the night of the attack.

CCTV footage played in court showed Parker returning to Mrs Healey on multiple occasions before leaning over her and taking her purse.

He previously denied stealing a coat from an unknown person, as well as another person's bag, discarded in the chaos, and using Mrs Healey's bank cards a number of days after the attack.

Following his guilty pleas, prosecutors will not pursue these charges.

He had been due to stand trial from 2 January, lasting three days, having previously denied all the charges, but failed to turn up to court.

The case had to be adjourned, and he was later found hiding in the loft of a hostel in Halifax, where he was arrested.

He pleaded guilty to two counts of theft and to one count of fraud.

Prosecutors said there was some evidence he had provided some help to people at the venue's entrance, but he used the opportunity "equally" to steal.

Parker's lawyer told the court he was sorry for his "appalling behaviour".

He will be sentenced on January 30. Judge David Hernandez said a custodial sentence is "likely".

Mrs Healey, her daughter, and granddaughter, went to the Arena to meet someone after the concert but had not attended themselves.

Mrs Healey was injured in the explosion and had 15 hours of surgery after the blast. Sorrell was killed.

4 Related Articles

Report finds Manchester bombing could have been avoided

The British Home Secretary has warned that the terror threat is constantly evolving

Over 10,000 'false claims' made for Manchester benefit concert free tickets

Ticketmaster says it is working to ensure fans get tickets instead of "opportunists or touts"

Victims of Manchester terror attack are named

Georgina Callander was the first victim identified

Witnesses describe terrifying scenes following explosion in Manchester

19 people have been killed and more than 50 injured following a terrorist attack in Manchester